Transient Rental Registration Program
Changes effecting the Transient Rental Program: On March 23, 2021, City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2021-7 authorizing amendments to Chapter 1369 Transient Rental Propery. These changes took effect on 4-22-21.
The transient rental registration program and the expansion of lodging tax to transient rentals was established by the adoption of Ordinance 2019-33 and Ordinance 2019-34, adopted March 10, 2020 after a full three readings. The purpose of the transient rental registration program, which include inspections and annual certification, is to set standards that address public safety issues while providing a revenue source to offset costs related to public safety and zoning enforcement efforts. The expansion of a 3% lodging tax to transient rentals within the city will be paid directly to the Erie County Auditor's Office. The Erie County Auditor's Office also requires transient rentals to register through their online portal. Erie County is already enforcing a 4% lodging tax on all vacation rentals within Erie County and they will collect the City's 3% portion via their online portal for a one-stop shop. Huron City Council amended the Transient Rental Ordinance by the adoption of Ordinance No. 2021-7 which becomes effective on 4-22-21.
If you have questions regarding the Transient Rental Registration Program, please contact the Zoning Department at 419-433-5000 ext. 1302 or ext. 1303 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions regarding the lodging tax, please contact Erie County at 419-627-7743 or visit their website by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is my rental property considered a transient rental? "Transient Rental Property" means any Residential Premises, or part thereof, being utilized or otherwise made available to a transient rental guest within the City, if such premises used by or made available to a transient rental guest for a period in excess of a combined period of thirty (30) days in any calendar year.
- What do I do next and how do I register?
- Review the city ordinances in order to be aware of the requirements and regulations: Ordinance 2021-7, Ordinance 2021-8, and Ordinance 2021-9 . (These are also included in the Transient Rental Registration Application packet for you to retain for your information) These ordinances became effective on 4-22-21.
- Complete the Transient Rental Registration Application and submit the application with the fee ( $400 per unit) to the City's Planning and Zoning Department (City of Huron, 417 Main St., Huron, OH 44839)
- Your application will be reviewed by the Zoning Inspector and you will be contacted for an inspection appointment. Inspections are required within 14 days of application submission.
- Upon receipt of a Passing Inspection Report, you will be issued a Transient Rental Registration Certificate which is to be on display in public view on the rental property premises.
- Register your Transient Rental property with Erie County in order for lodging taxes (Erie County and City) to be collected.
- By the 15th of every month, submit 3% of the prior month's collection of transient rental fees to Erie County. The 3% is in addition to the 4% already assessed on transient rentals from Erie County. If you have questions regarding the lodging taxes, contact Erie County at 419-627-7743
- What is the annual fee for the Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate? The fees for 2021 are $400 per rental unit (this includes an inspection) If the property fails the inspection, there is a $50 fee for each re-inspection. Subsequent Annual Fees will be determined by City Council.
- How long is my Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate valid? Your certificate is valid for a 12-month period from the date of issuance. You will need to renew your application in advance of your expiration date. Application, Inspection and annual fee will apply.
- How can I check to see if a property has registered? Click here to see the database listing of properties that have registered and the status. *This list will be updated weekly.