Transient Rental Registration Program
The transient rental registration program and the expansion of lodging tax to transient rentals was established by the adoption of Ordinance 2019-33 and Ordinance 2019-34, adopted March 10, 2020 after a full three readings and discussions over the past two years.
The purpose of the transient rental registration program, which will include inspections and annual certification, is to set standards that address public safety issues while providing a revenue source to offset costs related to public safety and zoning enforcement efforts. The expansion of a 3% lodging tax to transient rentals within the city will be paid directly to the Erie County Auditor's Office. The Erie County Auditor's Office also requires transient rentals to register through their online portal. Erie County is already enforcing a 4% lodging tax on all vacation rentals within Erie County and they will collect the City's 3% portion via their online portal for a one-stop shop.
If you have questions about the Transient Rental Registration Program, please contact the Zoning Department at 419-433-5000 ext. 103 or email us at email@example.com If you have questions regarding the lodging tax, please contact Erie County at 419-627-7743 or visit their website by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is my rental property considered a transient rental? "Transient Rental Property" means any dwelling unit, residential premises, or any other residential property being utilized or otherwise made available for rent to transient guests within the city. "Transient Guests" means persons occupying a room or rooms, dwelling unit, residential premises or other property used for sleeping accommodations for less than 30 consecutive days.
- What do I do next and how do I register?
- Review the city ordinances in order to be aware of the requirements and regulations: Ordinance 2019-33 & Ordinance 2019-34 . (These are also included in the Transient Rental Registration Application packet for you to retain for your information)
- Complete the Transient Rental Registration Application and submit the application with the fee to the City's Planning and Zoning Department (City of Huron, 417 Main St., Huron, OH 44839)
- Your application will be reviewed by the Zoning Inspector and you will be contacted for an inspection appointment. Click here to view the Inspection Report criteria.
- Upon receipt of a Passing Inspection Report, you will be issued a Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate which is to be on display in public view on the rental property premises.
- Register your Transient Rental property with Erie County in order for lodging taxes (Erie County and City) to be collected.
- By the 15th of every month, submit 3% of the prior month's collection of transient rental fees to Erie County. The 3% is in addition to the 4% already assessed on transient rentals from Erie County. If you have questions regarding the lodging taxes, contact Erie County at 419-627-7743
- What is the annual fee for the Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate? The fees for 2020 are $400 per rental unit and $50 for re-inspections. City Council has waived the fee for an initial re-inspection for 2020. Additional inspections will be $50. Fees will be determined annually by City Council.
- How long is my Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate valid? Your certificate is valid for a 12-month period beginning on the date of application or until a change in ownership occurs.