Planning, Zoning and Building Departments

Planning and Zoning Department

The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for enforcement of the City’s zoning code, management of the City’s Master Plan and Land Use Plan, and plan review for commercial and residential development within the community. The planning and zoning staff provide technical guidance to the Planning Commission, Design Review Board, and the Board of Building and Zoning Appeals. In addition, the zoning department is responsible for the City's property maintenance violations and code enforcement.  To report a suspected property maintenance issue, please call or email the Zoning Department,   provide the property address and a brief description of the issues.   All zoning and building permit applications are submitted to the Zoning Department at the City, once reviewed and/or distributed to the Building Department, you will be contacted if there are questions and/or when the permit(s) are issued and ready for pick up at the City.  Submit all applications and required plans to: 



Erik Engle, Planning & Zoning Manager  419-433-5000 ext. 1301.  

Katie Maloney, Zoning Inspector   419-433-5000 ext. 1303 or via cell at 419-239-7691

Christine Gibboney, Administrative Assistant/Permit Tech  419-433-5000  ext. 1302

Please contact the Planning and Zoning Department by either phone or email with any questions: 

P: 419-433-5000 ext. 1302  or via email: 

Fax:  419-433-5120 - Attention Zoning Department


Contractor Registration

The City of Huron has a Contractor Registration program effective January 1st of 2017. This program requires ALL  contractors working within the city limits be registered.    Prior to the issuance of a zoning or building permit, the contractor completing the project must be registered.  You can see which contractors are registered by clicking the link below. The table is updated monthly.  If you are a contractor and need to register, or an applicant needing a contractor to register, use the "Contractor Registration Application Packet" below. All applications MUST be complete (application, BWC policy, RITA registration form, proof of liability insurance, and any applicable state licensures). The City will not process incomplete application packets. Registration Certificates are valid for the calendar year.  Applications are required annually.

2022 Contractor Registration Application Packet 


2021 Contractor Registration Application Packet 

2021 Registered Contractor Database (updated monthly)


 Online Portal allows users to look up permits that have been issued, contractors, and apply online for the most common Zoning and Building Applications.  Click here to enter.     You can also download or print off applications below and email/mail them to the Zoning Department  at 


Zoning Permit Applications

Building Permit Applications

All applications are submitted to the  City of Huron Zoning Department. 

The City of Huron utilizes the services of Huron Township’s Building Department, which is certified by the Ohio Department of Commerce – Board of Building Standards. All commercial and residential projects fall under the authority of the Building Department.  To schedule your building inspection contact our Building Department directly:  419-433-2755.  


Business/Commercial Permit Applications

(Applicable to all Businesses- for any new construction or interior/exterior improvements  including but not limited to  painting, roofing ,signage,  etc.)
  • Business/Commercial/Industrial Guide and Applications. This packet contains information on the steps, application process and applications needed for any Business/Commercial/Industrial Project.
  • Planning Commission-Commercial Site Plan Application: This application is for any commercial or multi-family project seeking zoning approval. This application would cover projects such as new construction, additions or modifications to an existing structure, parking lot modifications, or commercial fencing projects. All commercial zoning permit applications are reviewed by the Planning Commission. There is a $150 application fee for all commercial zoning applications.   
  • Design Review Board Application: This application is for the review of commercial and multi-family projects that are making architectural, landscaping, signage, major or minor exterior modifications including painting, siding, doors, windows, or new construction/additions. The Design Review Board is responsible for reviewing the general design criteria for these types of projects. This application is most often in addition to the Commercial Site Plan Application. Additionally, the Design Review Board reviews and approves all sign applications (so use this application for sign permit applications). The application fee is $50 for minor projects and $150 for major projects. 
  • Sign Application (Design Review Board): This application is for review of new signage or modification of existing signage. Please note that logos/advertising on windows is signage.  The application fee is $50 if separate application. If included in a DRB application for a major project, the application fee is covered in the main DRB application fee. The permit fees are included within the permit fee schedule.
  • Following approval at the committee levels, zoning and/or building permit applications are required and the respective permit fees will be applied.

Not sure what application you need or need further information?  

  1. Do I need a permit for my project?  Click here to find out: "Do I need a permit?"
  2. What application do I need?   Click here to find out:   What Application Do I Need?
  3. Why do I need approvals and Inspections?
  4. How much does a zoning permit cost? Zoning permit fees are based on the City's fee schedule. Please see the Zoning Permit Fee Schedule for a list of all zoning permit and application fees. Please do not include payment with your application, we will contact you with fee amount once the permit has been issued.
  5. Building and Zoning Fee Schedule - Chapter 1321
  6. How long does it take to get a zoning permit? Each project is different. Residential projects are staff reviewed and are usually turned around within a week of complete application submission. Commercial projects are reviewed by the Planning Commission and Design Review Board and are subject to the meeting schedule. Commercial projects may also require internal review, engineering plan review and storm water plan review prior to consideration of zonign and buildng permit reviews.
  7. What zoning district is my property located in and what are my setbacks?  Step 1)  Look for your property on the City's Zoning Map to determine what district you are in.  Step 2) Click on your zoning district below for example site plans reflecting your setback information. 
  8. Permits for any/all Businesses: Any improvements to businesses including but not limited to: additions, new construction,  exterior painting, siding, windows, roofing, parking lot changes, fencing, and signage all require approval through the Planning Commission and/or the DRB.   It is strongly recommended that you make an appiontment to meet with the Zoning Administrator for an initial overview of your project, permitting requirements and  timelines.     Refer to the section COMMERCIAL ZONING APPLICATIONS.
  9. General Permits for Projects within the Right of Way:  Driveway, Sidewalks, Trees in the right-of-way: Any work within the City's right-of-way requires a permit. This is not a zoning permit. The application is reviewed and issued by the Street Department. For sidewalks and driveways that are being built in the City's Right-of-Way, use the Right-of-Way Application and follow the instructions on the cover sheet. To plant or remove a tree within the City's Right-of-Way, use the Tree Planting/Removal Application and submit to the City's Finance Department. The Finance Department will direct your applciation to the Street Department for review and permit issuance
  10. Residential Zoning Permit Application: This application is for any residential project (single-family, duplexes, and triplexes). This application covers permit applications for new construction, additions, sheds/outbuildings, swimming pool , and decks/patios/sunrooms.  ALL applications must be submitted with a site plan for the project. Applications not including a site plan will not be accepted.  Additional information about pools:  both inground and above ground pools are considered "accessory structures" and do require setback compliance, also a fence is required when a pool is less than 4' in height; when a fence is not required a latchable gate at the steps up to the pool is required.
  11. Fence Permit Application: This application for any residential fencing project.  ALL applications must be submitted with a site plan for the projects. Applications not including a site plan will not be accepted. The Zoning Code limits fences to 4 feet in height in the front yard and 6 feet in height for side and rear yards. There are no setback requirements for fences, so you can build a fence right up to your property line. It's recommended that you have a surveyor locate your property line prior to installation to avoid building your fence on your neighbor's property. Also, be sure to contact your Homeowners Association as there may be additional requirements or deed restrictions (disclaimer - deed restrictions and by-laws are not City regulations. The City does not enforce any other regulations other than the City's Zoning Code)​​​​
  12. Site Plan Template: Blank graph paper for drafting a site plan to include with a residential zoning permit application. 
  13. Lot Split Process: For any lot splits or lot combinations, please use this flyer as a guide for going through the process. 
  14. Re-zoning Application: Use this application to begin the process of requesting consideration for the re-zoning of a  parcel. Rezoning applications are first heard by the Planning Commission, and then by City Council who will make the final determination.   There is a $250.00 application fee.
  15. Board of Building and Zoning Appeals (BZA) Application: The BZA hears all appeals of decisions rendered by the city's zoning department and all requests for variances or reliefs from the zoning code. There is a $150 application fee. 

Residential Rehabilitation Assistance

GREAT LAKES COMMUNITY ACTION PARTNERSHIP:  Residential rehabilitation grant program for residential property within the City of Huron.  Please click here for more information. 


Committee Meeting Information:  For meeting information of the Planning Commission, Design Review Board, or Building and Zoning Appeals Board, please click here.