GARBAGE, RECYCLING, & YARD WASTE
Residential Garbage, Recycling, and Yard Waste collection services are provided by Republic Services within the City of Huron. The current contractual agreement is a 5-year term, commencing on July 1st, 2017. The contract was awarded via Resolution 2017-27. Multi-family and commercial accounts are no longer serviced or billed by the City for garbage/recycling/yard waste services, and are free to obtain services from the provider of their choice.
- All residential customers are provided two wheeled containers: 65-gallon for recycling (blue lid) and 95-gallon for garbage (black lid). You can request a smaller container for garbage by contacting 1-734-848-5226. The carts must be used for your recycling/garbage to be picked up.
- Curbside pickup is provided every Monday citywide.
- Carts must be placed at the curb (with the lid opening facing the street/handles facing the house), no later than 7:00 AM on the day of pickup (Monday). Also, be sure to leave space between carts and other objects. This allows the automated truck access to your cart.
- Yard Waste collection is unlimited and is provided every Monday all-year round. Yard waste containers must be clearly marked (words "Yard Waste" or in lawn/leaf bags). Yard Waste containers cannot exceed 35 pounds.
- The first Monday of every month, Republic will pickup bulk-items at the curb. This is included in the program at no extra cost. Additional tags are not necessary. See the informational brochure for a list of approved bulk-items.
- Holiday Schedule: Garbage and Recycling services will be provided the following day if any of the following holidays fall on Monday (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day). Holidays falling a weekend will not delay collection.
- The program is $65 a quarter.
- Click here for the informational brochure on this program.
- Missed pickup: Please call Republic at 1-734-848-5226
- For billing questions or sign-up information, please contact the Finance Department at 419-433-5000 ext. 3
Yard Waste and Food Scrap
Curbside Yard Waste and Food Scrap pickup are offered year-round. Containers must be less than 35 gallon and clearly marked "Yard Waste." Biodegradable paper bags may also be used. No container shall exceed 35 pounds. Bundled twigs, sticks, tree trimmings, brush may be picked up as well if bound with twine and not exceeding 4 feet in length. elligble items include leaves, grass clipping, and other landcsape materials (excluding sod, dirt, construction debris). Pickup is unlimited as long as no containers exceed 35 pounds. As a reminder, leaves, grass clippings, and other yard waste materials are not to be raked, swepted, pushed, or otherwise casued to be placed in the roadway or other public way (including sidewalks), per Ordinance 520.10.
Food Scrap recycling diverts methane producing organic compounds from the landfill to a composting facility. This program offers many benefits including slowing the rate at which the landfill is consumed, reducing the emission of methane into the atmosphere, and producing organic composting materials, which reduces the need for additional chemical soil enhancements. Food scraps can be placed with your yard waste materials. Check out this flyer for more information on food scrap programs and what items can be included.
Residents are reminded that leaves are not to be raked into the roadway. This is a violation of the City Ordinances, Section 521.10, which reads “No person shall sweep, shovel or pile or cause to be swept, shoveled or piled, any snow, ice, leaves, branches, twigs, brush, grass or other waste upon any of the streets, avenues, alleys, sidewalks or other public ways of the City. Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.”